- 6 slices old bread (or let it dry out for an hour) with crusts cut off
- butter (enough to butter bread slices)
- 5 eggs
- 1 litre milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sultanas (optional)
Preparation: 30 min › Cook: 1 hour › Ready in: 1 1/2 hours
Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
- Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Butter, then cut the crust-less slices of bread into triangles or squares (you can use any leftover breads) and lay in dish for the best fit (you can be decorative but make sure the whole base is evenly covered).
- In a large mixing bowl beat 5 eggs on a medium speed and add milk gradually.
- Add vanilla essence and sugar and continue to mix for 1-2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour mixture over the bread.
- Allow mixture to sit for about 10 mins so moisture soaks into bread.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on top.
- Place in oven/camp oven and cook for 40 - 60 minutes (check every now and again).
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice-cream.
Camp Oven Tips#
- If cooking in a camp oven, place dish on a trivet so the bottom does not burn. Place a little water in the bottom of the camp oven to create a steam effect.
- To brown the top of pudding ensure you place coals on top of lid for at least 10 mins at end of cooking process.